Monday, February 9, 2009

Chai and Contemplation

Today was lovely. And I'm not just talking about weather.

We got out of class early, and Rachelle and I decided to take advantage of an open afternoon. We had both been wanting to spend some time in a coffee shop reading (and nearly done just that several times in the last week), and today was the day. We headed down to Ebenezer's, Rachelle to read "Kite Runner," and I to read "The History of Love." I ordered a delightful vanilla chai with raspberry, and then we went downstairs and found some cushy chairs.

And then we read. For almost two hours. I was in heaven, and I'm in love with this book already. Nicole Krauss, the author, uses such quaint means of characterization, and I absolutely love her writing. I'm so excited to dive into it again.

We also had family dinner tonight (heart-shaped meatloaf?), and as always, my friends and I were the last to leave. Zack gave me a lesson on the southern region of the United States, describing differences between the states and their preferred labels, and I now feel much better versed about this side of the country. And there was a huge map on the wall right behind us, and when I stood on a chair, I could point to different parts of California -- so convenient for tonight's purposes! A group of us also discussed the breakdowns of our families ... Be scared, Mom and Dad, they all know now that you're both MFTs, haha :)

And then Rachelle and I got into her bed/fort, and we just talked for a long time. I love life talks that just put everything and God into perspective. I'm so thankful that this girl was able to travel to the other side of the country with me.

1 comment: