Friday, March 13, 2009

Episode 1 of an eclectic spring break

SPRING BREAK PART 1

So gear in for a really, really long update. A lot’s happened in the last week, and I definitely want to try to be more consistent with this blog in the future.

So last Thursday I was technically on spring break! We only got Thursday and Friday off, but I was so beyond happy to have a four-day weekend that I really didn’t care that spring break is usually a full week. I slept in Thursday morning and then met Rachelle in Dupont for lunch at Chipotle. It was an absolutely beautiful day – and I’m talking beautiful as in clear and 70! – so we walked around the town a little bit and then took the metro over to the Air and Space Museum … and then we spent 3 ½ hours perusing only half of the top floor of the museum … we had to read and see everything, haha. Some of the exhibits were really interesting, especially one on the Wright Brothers. It was a really fun afternoon with the exception of getting hit on by teen boys, haha.

After that we came back and bummed around until the evening. Friday was Chad’s 21st birthday (He’s the one who got dismissed from the program, but we still hang out with him, only outside of the apartments), and he wanted to go to the midnight showing of Watchmen, and probably about a dozen of us went. It was really fun just talking and hanging out and playing cards with everyone while we were waiting. The movie was a little much for me. Graphic, graphic violence and sex. Like, disgusting. And it was confusing. I probably would’ve liked it more if I had read the book. The guys who read the book all liked the movie, but those of us who hadn’t tended to not. But it was still a really fun night. Even though we had to walk back from Chinatown at 3 a.m.

Friday Rachelle and I slept in late and then went to Target for groceries. And we each bought two packs of playing cards. So now we can play Nertz and Speed =) In fact, Rachelle and I have played Speed twice in the past few nights, which has been fun since it’s been a while for me and that game’s amazing! And I clobbered her the last time too ;) But anyways, after Target we came back and got ready for the evening because Chad had invited us to his birthday dinner.

He had decided on the ESPN Zone since some of us going were underage, and it ended up being me and Rachelle and then a bunch of the guys. Chad, Cole, David, John, Jason, Jeremy, Mark, Zack and us. SO fun when it’s ESPN Zone! We played games for 2 hours while waiting for our table. I bought a few credits, but then Chad was nice and let us use a bunch of his. I owned at basketball and car racing, haha. And we also played air hockey and this really cool, intense foosball-like game. Really, really fun!

And then we all had dinner and that was fun too. And Chad got to actually drink something since he isn’t on covenant anymore, which was cool for him. I’m just glad my birthday’s over the summer! After that a group of us walked back and then went over to Chad’s house for a while. We were going to play Wii but some of his roommates were on it, so we just sat in the family room and talked and laughed about random stuff for a while. I think we finally left around 1 or 2 a.m.

Rachelle and I had agreed that we were going to go somewhere cool Saturday afternoon so we wanted to be up and ready at a decent hour. And I had kept trying to fit running into the past few days (to no avail), so I decided to suck it up and get up at an earlier time to take a run. 10:30 a.m. On a Saturday. That’s right. Haha. I took a path that Jason had recommended that went down 8th, down East Capital to the actual Capital, to Union and then back to the apartments that was 2 miles, which is a perfect length for me. I’ve used it a few times since, and I really like it. And I like how there are so many joggers in DC. I feel awkward running on the sidewalk in Laguna Hills, but it’s so commonplace here.

Then after I came back and showered and got ready, Rachelle and I decided to go to Arlington Cemetery and invite the girls next door … but then it turned into a really big thing, haha. Andrea, Christine, Mandi, Zack, Mark, Jeremy, Jason, Chad and Cole all ended up coming too, so we had a really big group! We got all the way out there and spent several hours on the grounds. We saw an exhibit on Fly Girls, the tomb of the unknown soldier, JFK’s grave and Iwo Jima. It was obviously a more solemn trip but still really neat.

Then Mandi told us that Eli and a friend were going out to Alexandria, Virginia for a concert and invited all of us ...

The adventure continues soon. I know you’re all anxious to find out what happens!

2 comments:

  1. nice of you to neglect the fact that i creamed YOU the first time we played. thank you very much.

    =)

    ReplyDelete